The Tool Thrift Shop is always looking for individuals who want to give back to the community and are able to contribute 4 hours (or more) per week. Familiarity with tools is helpful for some positions, but not for others. Some positions (such as cashier) require the ability to commit to a schedule, but other jobs are quite flexible in terms of when you 'work'. We can accommodate a variety of hours, and always schedule around vacations and snowbirds. We work at maintaining a non-corporate, easygoing atmosphere. And we strive to make volunteering fun. Our meetings, which are short and limited in number, are entirely voluntary for interested individuals; reports and committees are virtually non-existent.
The following volunteer positions are available:
- Store Managers: open the store for business and close it down; schedule the cashiers; supervise volunteers in general; deal with customer, shopper, or volunteer issues; report on daily sales activity. Basic computer searching ability is essential.
- "Tool People": men and women who inspect donated items, test them, clean them, price them often with the aid of a computer online search, label them and put them out for sale on the retail floor. Some familiarity with tools is helpful.
- Cashiers: operate the cash register, assist the store manager. Experience is helpful but not necessary: will train
- Pick-up People: visit our donors to bring in larger loads, often using our modern enclosed 14' trailer which minimizes lifting.
- Hardware People: breakdown larger donations of hardware into smaller, less expensive packages. Basic knowledge of screws and nails is helpful. Can accommodate less mobile individuals.